Normalize Open Loving Gestures for Couples

 

Shriya Saran gets a lot of flak for the public display of affection (PDA) with her husband. But it delights journalists and camerapersons with XY chromosomes, as they keep demanding for more - coz it sells. The paradox is truly maddening.

There was an incident of PDA in my family - that's what I'd like to share.
My cousin fell in love with our youngest maternal uncle's wife's brother. He was madly in love with her too. Enter the veena pona mundam aka elder family members, tradition, murai, and dumb, primitive shit in between their love.

These elders forbade the duo from proceeding with the relationship, what more marriage - because the murai for each of them is "sister-brother." I witnessed all the drama every time I went to the village for school holidays. My cousin's lover starved himself in rebelling the acute opposition while my cousin cried and threw things around - she was also beaten by her parents. It was very disturbing and as a 14 year old, I was petrified. So were my other cousins in their pubescent phase. We never left our cousin's side and comforted her.

Then, caste became the unlikely rescuer - a temple priest was consulted and he said that my cousin can marry him because he's from a different caste and the sister-brother relation doesn't apply to people from different castes. Of course, the elders couldn't see how much they loved each other - they trust a temple priest more than their children - they said OK and we were overjoyed that the ordeal was over.

That wedding was the happiest I ever attended. I was sporting a boy cut and wore a lehenga. My cousins and I were so effervescent for the couple. We put on a dance show too - I danced for Ulala song from Minsara Kanavu.

We were put through so much la, so, when the bride and groom arrived, and all the customs were over, we kids surrounded the newlyweds and asked them to kiss each other. And they did as we cheered. My cousin's mom heard the commotion and she saw her daughter kiss her husband... and all hell broke loose. We were severely reprimanded for doing such "asingam." (depravity).

Now, my aunt's late husband beat her in public - is that depravity or this? I am determined to kiss my partner on our wedding day, right in front of that aunt of mine and all the attendees. If anyone boos, my middle finger will be on display. And I will peck his lips in public too. Let them get offended and die so the younger generation will grow up thinking that love is natural, violence against your significant other is abnormal.

And here's Shriya's response to trolls who can't take love in public: “It’s kind of funny! Andrei thinks that it’s normal to kiss me during my special moment and I think it’s beautiful. He doesn’t understand why we would be trolled for something so natural. But it is okay, it is fine (laughs)! I don’t read bad comments or react to them. It’s their (trolls) job to write and my job is to avoid them. I only do what I’ve to do.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I was Sexually Assaulted for Rejecting a Boy

The Vicious Cycle of Indian Mommy's Boys

An Evangelist Christian vs Le Me