Period Taboos: Debunked

I have a habit of testing things. So I tested period taboos too and I am now putting it forth so you can overcome your fears and do whatever you want during menstruation.

ENTERING THE PRAYERS ROOM

Despite the restriction, I entered the prayer room at home to take fruits or put on "holy ash" when I was menstruating forgetfully many times. At first, I was scared that I would fail my exams or God will kannu kutthing. Nothing of that sort happened, so I intentionally entered the prayer room during periods. I’m still here, fine as I can be.


GOING TO THE TEMPLE

As a teen, I have gone to Thaipusam during periods. I was told that the man who whips himself as an offering for Lord Muruga will whip me if I went to Thaipusam during menstruation. I went anyway and that man was preoccupied with whipping himself. He didn't give me as much as a sideway glance.


TOUCHING THE TULASI (HOLY BASIL) PLANT

I have a habit of plucking a few holy basil leaves and chewing on them as a mouth freshener. I did the same when I was on period and the basil plant didn’t get any blight, blacken, and die. 

FEEDING ANIMALS 

I had a pet dog. I fed him daily. I fed my granny’s chickens, ducks, and cats in the village. And that didn’t cause dysmenorrhea. I had severe cramps during the menarche itself and I didn’t feed any animals then. 


I LIVED IN A ROOM WHERE THERE WAS A PRAYER ALTAR

My mom, sister, and I lived in a rented room for three years and my mom set up a prayer altar in the room. The three of us lived and menstruated right beside “God”. Suddenly, God didn’t mind being in the same room with three menstruating females? 


CONCLUSION

All these are done due to ignorance and the blind follow-up of nonsensical traditions. Patriarchal religions are disgusted with the idea of women bleeding from down there. The Barnum effect makes all these nonsensical connections. One needs to be brave enough to disprove these superstitious beliefs. 


WHAT DOES SCIENCE SAY?

Menstrual blood is neither bad nor toxic blood nor it is teetu. It contains all the components of blood and the extras are the unfertilized ovum, bacteria from the cervix and vagina, and multi-functional stem cells known as MenSCs.  Menstrual blood-derived stem cells will bring mankind toward regenerative medicine, therapeutic mechanisms, novel strategies, and future perspectives in the treatment of diseases.

And we call such a life-giving matter dirty, and say that people who produce them are impure, God hates them, negative energy, and whatever they touch is polluted.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I was Sexually Assaulted for Rejecting a Boy

The Vicious Cycle of Indian Mommy's Boys

An Evangelist Christian vs Le Me